It’s no secret that the process of selling a home can be extremely stressful. This stress usually continues to rise to greater levels if you want to sell your home fast. And why wouldn’t you want to sell your home fast? Having your home sit on the market while you’re trying to buy another home or move out of state for a new job can put a major dent on your funds and can leave you feeling shackled to the past. Weeks that turn into months of having to show your home to buyers means making sure your home is presentable at all times. And If you have children or pets in the home than you know how truly difficult that can be. While there is no guarantee on how soon your home can get sold, these budget friendly methods will help you hook more potential buyers and faster, so that you can move on with your life.
Creating Curb Appeal
Just like people, first impressions make a huge impact on how fast your home will sell, the outside of your home sets the tone for any potential buyer. The exterior of a home is what the buyer first sees on the listing or in person, which is why it’s so important to make sure your home is putting its “best foot forward” Most of the time, if the outside of the home doesn’t appeal to the buyer, they won’t even click on your listing. There are some moderately simple things you can do to increase the overall appeal of your home include:
- Clean your yard. This includes mowing, trimming and shaping hedges, edging the lawn, removing any unsightly foliage or precarious looking tree branches, etc.
- Paint the exterior of your home. A fresh coat of paint could make all the difference in selling you home. Opt for neutral colors and an accent colored door if appropriate.
- Wash everything. Pressure wash your home, sidewalk, walkways and driveway. The cleaner the home, the more likely you’ll sell it.
Upgrade when you can. Consider upgrading the door handle and front porch with some flowers to create a bright and inviting atmosphere.
Interior Home Improvements
Upgrade Fans & Light Fixtures
Believe it or not, low quality fans and light fixtures can play a large role in the decision making process when buyers are searching for their dream home. Buying new fixtures and fans is a low budget, but highly effective way to increase the value of your home. Many experts will tell you avoid large overhauls and renovations before selling a home because, well, it’s just really not worth it. Many homes on the market today could benefit from a few well positioned modern fans and light fixtures. Lowe’s offers high quality, well priced models that will help in the process of selling your home.
Upgrade The Bathroom
If you’ve ever seen a home improvement show, you know that kitchens and bathrooms are what sell homes. While upgrading fixtures in your kitchen is important to selling your home, along with upgrading cabinet hardware and appliances, a well done bathroom upgrade is also vital for selling your home. According to Modern Bathroom, the following bathroom renovations are a great place to start:
- Fix what’s broken. Lacking storage space? Faulty shower head? Leaky sink? If something isn’t working properly in your bathroom, it can be a big turnoff to buyers. Since you’re the one that’s been using the space, ask yourself what does it need to make it more functional. A new shower head or caulking? Additional storage via a new bathroom vanity? Also, do some research on what people want to see for sinks, showers, tiling, etc.
- Out with the old. The market for people who love vintage, out of date bathrooms is slim. Your best bet for appeasing the mass market of potential home buyers is by choosing a modern contemporary design from everything to your hardware, tiling, counters and more.
If you’ve lived in the home you’re selling for any number of years, chances are you have personalized it or at least several of the rooms to suit your decorating personality. However, even though you may love a bright yellow kitchen, potential buyers may be put off by such an exaggerated color. Create a blank canvas for which your potential buyers can imagine furnishing your home with their belongings. You can do this by neutralizing the rooms in your home with soft neutral colors such as, white or cream.
Small Improvements Matter
Whether it’s a torn window screen or a wall with too many holes, small improvements matter to potential home buyers. One of the ways that you can sell your home fast is by assessing any small or large damage you may have throughout your house. You would be amazed how far a fresh coat of paint, a properly sealed window, or even a pot of fresh flowers can go.
Clean & Declutter
If even small renovations are not in your budget, the most essential thing you can do in order to sell your home fast is to clean your home as if your potential buyers plan on inspecting every nook and cranny with a white glove. Make sure your property is pristine. Check cupboards and corners for dust and dirt buildup. If you know that you or your family won’t have time to thoroughly clean your home, hire a reputable cleaning service to do the dirty work.
Additionally, decluttering your home allows for buyers to see themselves living there. Pick up the mountain of mess and get rid of stuff that isn’t being used and is just taking up space. Along with making your space seem more airy and open, removing some of the clutter from your life will mean that you have less stuff to pack up when you do sell your home.
Staging Your Home
When it comes to creating the right kind of ambiance to put potential buyers in the “mood” to buy your home fast, you have a couple different options:
- Set the stage yourself. If you are unable to afford the professional efforts of a trained staging company, you can set the scene yourself by simply adding encouraging elements. This can include anything from scented candles and baking cookies to playing soothing classical music to create an aura of peace and calm throughout your home. Similarly, when a home is decorated to highlight its best assets, buyers notice.
Pro Tip: focus mainly on the bathroom and kitchen of your home, these are considered “selling points” for possible buyers.
- Hire a staging company. If it’s within your budget, hiring a professional staging team is always a good idea. Staging companies offer a professional eye for interior design, that the common person may be lacking.
Sell At The Right Time
Even if you’ve gone through the entirety of your home’s interior and exterior, made all the proper renovations, upgraded as much as possible, and cleaned it from top to bottom, if you’re not selling at the right time-it won’t matter. Selling your home at the right time can be crucial to the selling of your home. Though of course this is not always the case, it is an important factor to consider if you want to sell your home fast. According to Trulia, Spring and summer are typically known as the best time to sell your home. “If you can wait until then to list, you should consider it. But be forewarned that increased inventory means spring and summer buyers can afford to be pickier — so make sure your home is in tip-top shape.”
At the end of the day, the best thing you can do is to think like a buyer and create a home that represents those main principles. If you would like to schedule an in-home visit with us, contact 123 Closed. We can help you sell your home fast!